I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod one part finish
Posted by: Al Barrett (---.gtwy.uscourts.gov)
Date: September 29, 2004 03:25PM

Does anyone use Gudebrod one part finish? What experience does anyone have? Would I have problems with single foot guides pulling out of place without the adhesion epoxy finishes give? I like epoxy finish (flex coat); however, do not like the strict timeline associated with application. I would also like to try a lower build.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod one part finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.190.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: September 29, 2004 03:33PM

Epoxy finishes don't offer much in the way of adhesive power. Forget about that.

I've used the Gudebrod finish mostly for quick repair work. It dries fast, so a few coats can be applied in a morning. It's remarkably good stuff, in my opinion, and can be cleaned up with water. I've not used it for all out guide finishing on a custom rod, but frankly I suspect you could get very good results with it. But you will require several coats of finish to get decent depth.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (213.55.68.---)
Date: September 29, 2004 03:45PM

The Gudebrod 1 part is a little like nail varnish. Goes on quickly, quite fluid, easy cleanup, quick dry. I used to use it for quick repairs too.

Needs lots of coats for depth. Also, water cleanup makes me edgy, as my rods get very wet whenever I fish. Even in a boat, so what goes for wade fishing (my favorite). It's gotta be a tough epoxy or lovingly applied Permagloss for me.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: September 29, 2004 04:10PM

I love it and would say it has become my favorite finish. I typically use 4 or 5 thin coats to get a nice flat perfect finish that covers all the thread texture but no more. It has a color preserving effect too so you don't see the guide feet when you're done. My most used rod has 3 or 4 years of use on it and no signs of wear. Still nice and glossy. It has the benefits of Permagloss without the brain damage. Easy clean-up, no fumes.

Posted by: Al Wasser (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: September 29, 2004 04:15PM

What is the shelf life after it is opened?

Date: September 29, 2004 04:19PM

I built about a rod per week or so on average. I buy the 1 oz. bottles and probably do 25 rods with one bottle. By the time I get to the bottom, the finish is still fluid enough to flow easily although it takes only 3 coats instead of 4-5 coats. I use the expensive red sable brushes and they last longer than the 1 oz. bottle if you rinse them well in warm water.

Posted by: Charles Tatton (204.193.71.---)
Date: September 29, 2004 04:27PM

The Gudebrod finish sounds interesting. I just used Permagloss on a fly rod I built a couple of weeks ago and like it a lot. The biggest drawback was the fumes!

Date: September 29, 2004 04:30PM

How 'bout drying time and bubble release? I'm on a rush this vacation so keeping build time down is definitely a good thing. Keeping it really simple on the spin-fly until I get my feet on firm ground.

Date: September 29, 2004 04:34PM

No bubble problem and dries in most conditions in 1 hour between coats, faster if you put a light bulb near it. Try it you'll like it. I've done many rods where I put the first coat on at 6 am. and it's done by noon with 4-5 coats and looks beautiful. Gotta go catch a train so hasta la vista.

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: September 29, 2004 05:08PM

A friend of mine has used nothing but Gudebrod for all his rods. When it gets a little thick, he uses it for the guide wraps, which makes for a little higher build, then after applying the last coat to the wraps, uses newer, thinner stuff for the rest of the rod. When applying it to the blank for a finish, don't try to go back over it to smooth it, just put it on fairly heavy in one pass then put it your power rod turner to dry. If you are getting bubbles, you need to get more on the brush when applying. If you don't care for the high gloss look, buff it slightly with grey scotch-brite which gives it a slight matt look.
Murf

Posted by: Noel Spann (198.214.51.---)
Date: September 29, 2004 05:19PM

Al,
I also use it for quick repair jobs. I put it on, let it sit for a few minutes then heat it up with a blow dryer on low heat. It dries fast so I can do multiple coats in a short amount of time if my customer is in somewhat of a hurry.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: JOE KLEPEIS JR (12.161.193.---)
Date: September 29, 2004 05:41PM

used the one and two part regular build like it alot easy to work with
joe.

Can it be used for this?
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 29, 2004 05:59PM

When I'm going to put a decal on a matte finished blank, I need to put an undercoat of epoxy on first, wait 24 hours, then the decal, wait 6-12 hours, then the final coat of epoxy. How about the Gudebrod 1-part for the undercoat, to shorten the time? Can you then put a 2-part on over it?

Posted by: Fred Murphy (---.stkn.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: September 29, 2004 07:32PM

Tom Doyle: The guides on my current rod were "set" in place after aligning and wrapping, with Gudebrod one part, then coated wiith two part Cabela's finish. This is just on the guide wraps, not the rod itself. The results were very satisfactory to me. Haven't finished or used it yet so can't say about longevity of the job. I've heard a few long time builders say two part epoxy is perfectly compatible over the Gudebrod one part. I'm doing the same thing with a factory label, one coat Gudebrod, scuff lightly, apply a second coat, this information from another long time builder.
Just a beginner, Murf

Posted by: Pavel Novolokin (---.Moscow.dial.rol.ru)
Date: September 30, 2004 01:25AM

I agree with Fred. 1-part Gudebrod finish looks to be much more safer over decals than Permagloss (at least for me). And yes, it acts as a kind of color preserver, thread not goes as dark with it as with Permagloss or epoxy.

Pavel

Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2004 04:39PM

I used the Gudebdod one part finish on one rod that I built, and didn't like the results, after about a dozen times getting wet the finish started to come off. But I haven't had problems with the guides coming out.

Date: September 30, 2004 06:47PM

That's the very reason I stopped using it, and am still worried about it. I have a lot of friend who are now wade fishing converts, and the older repairs I did for them did not hold up too well after they took to getting seriously wet in pursuit of finned opponents.

Has anyone tried Permagloss over Gudebrod 1 part? I'd love to try that. Fast absorption + CP effect + sealing, and then ultra-tough urethane over it. Theory vs practice, please!

Posted by: Rich Margiotta (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2004 07:34PM

The Gudebrod 822 is a water-based varnish. It's similar (or the same) as many craft water-based varnishes -- I've compared it to varnish form Folk Art and Alene's and it's really just about the same stuff. (Let's face it -- as a thread maker, Gudebrod is not manufacturing the stuff, just repackaging it.) If you read up on wood finishing you'll see that water-based finishes have come a long way in the last few years but are not as durable as oil-based ones. (Yes, polyurethanes like Minwax spar urethane and "fast-drying poly" are oil-based. Check the label for what the thinner is -- if its mineral spirits, the stuff is oil-based.)

The best qualities of the Gudebrod 822 or other craft varnishes are that they dry fast and they hold the thread very well, as pointed out in an earlier post (not as good as formal color preserver, but pretty close). I've used it successfully (2-3 coats) as an undercoat for both epoxy, traditional spar, and spar urethane. But I feel strongly that something more durable should be the top coat.

--Rich

Date: October 01, 2004 06:16AM

Gudebrod 1 part has code number 840. 822 is the finish restorer, packaged with a brush.

Posted by: Rich Margiotta (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: October 01, 2004 08:22AM

Gudebrod 822 is "Rod Varnish". Gudebrod 840 is "Rod Finish". Gudebrod 442 is "Rod Restorer".

Both the 822 and 840 are water-based varnish of the craft variety. (I think this means no acrylics like the milky white stuff you get for wood finishing). They both have the same very slight darkening effect on thread. I've only used 822 on rods -- and only tested the 840.

I don't know anything about the 442.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster