I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions for the Audience
Posted by: Dennis Venutolo (65.110.6.---)
Date: September 29, 2004 03:06PM

For discussions sake, I wonder what everyone's take is on all the blank sales and discounts that seem to be everywhere these days. I know it means I can get good deals on blanks that cost me twice as much last year, but does it signal problems or sagging business in the rod building industry???

Also with the advent of all the free information available on the internet these days, are rod building shows redundant at this point?? What am I going to get in Charlotte or anywhere else that I can't already get in the magazine or on this or other websites??

Not trying to start arguments, just curious what others' takes on these situations are.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions for the Audience
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: September 29, 2004 03:14PM

I want to watch the masters at work. I want to hold and feel different rod blanks. I'd like to see the new innovations that seem to be coming out near daily at times... and I want to meet in person some of these wonderful people that I've met here, online.
Putter

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.190.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: September 29, 2004 03:25PM

In my opinion, dealers cut their own throats when they discount product or constantly engage in "sales." Of course, nothing is ever quite that cut and dry. The best you can do as a consumer is take advantage of the savings and don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I think informal regional rod building gatherings will always be popular with a few because it's a great way to meet other builders in your local area and swap ideas and the like. It's just easier to do this in person with several other builders than doing it over the phone, by email or chat room. I don't think these type gatherings are going away.

Something like Charlotte is a different deal altogether. The size and scope of the show means you can get things there you can't get elsewhere. What can you get in Charlotte that you can't get elsewhere in the magazine or the internet? Well, I don't think you can put your hands on that much product, shake that many blanks, or query that many manufacturers and dealers via a magazine or the internet. So there's one for you.

The next thing is being able to see the various demonstrations and seminars in person. You may already be adept at most of the subject matter that will be presented - I won't presume to know what your current rod building abilities are. But neither the magazine nor the internet lets you see any of these things hands on, or ask immediate questions of the people doing the presentations. Granted, a year's worth of RodMaker has far more information than any show does, but it's a totally different form of presentation.

Nor can you meet as many rod builders, in person, as you can at a show the size of Charlotte. If you enjoy that sort of thing. Some do, some don't.

The cost to attend Charlotte, including access to the show floor along with all the seminars and demonstrations is just $12 for one day, or $20 for two. So other than your travel and lodging expenses (you have to eat no matter where you are, so let's not factor food into this) it should be a tremendous value all things considered.

If you're driving in, you can take advantage of special show prices and pick up items that you might not quickly find elsewhere. Again, that may or may not interest you.

Obviously, the overall size of a show factors into the value aspect of such things. More products, more people, more demonstrations, etc., for the same or less money also contributes to greater vallue. Then again, some enjoy smaller, more personal venues.

Ultimately, whether or not such a show offers enough value to offset the price of admission, travel expense, etc., is something each person has to decide for themselves.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: September 29, 2004 04:55PM

I know there a deals all over the net. Some are good deals. What I would do is make sure I was dealing with a company that has a good reputation and what their guarantee is on your satisfaction of the product.

As for shows, you can be book smart, but nothing can compare with hands on and being able to discuss the qualities of a product face to face with a rep. or the way a certain pattern weave is done. I always pick up a new procedure on some thing. I know there are lots off excellent sharing on the net. You still can not beat hands on.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Travis Thomspon (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 29, 2004 08:29PM

Not to mention if you plan on purchasing there you can save a lot of $$$ on shipping costs. I wish I were in the financial situation to be able to attend but my better half wont allow it this year. Too many other trips taken

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.reserved.madisonriver.net)
Date: September 30, 2004 09:38AM

In my 72 years of life, I have found finding a good reliable supplier for anything, is the way to go. When you find them, be loyal and stick with them and thy will be loyal to you. Sometimes it cost you more, but it is worth it. John Butterfield

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: September 30, 2004 11:25AM

I have a year less experience than Mr. Butterfield but I agree with him whole heartedly. That means you have a total of 143 years of advice for your consideration and benefit. Stan Grace

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: October 01, 2004 11:07AM

John

It only took me 20 years to learn that, and I've been practicing it for the past 28. Good words of advise.

Sometimes low cost is not always the best option.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster