I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cheap blanks for testing?
Posted by: David Allred (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2001 10:04PM

My first rod is almost finished and I'm basically satisfied with it but the process of building it has brought about a multitude of questions. I have a borrowed copy of L.A.Garcia's "Handcrafting A Graphite Fly Rod" and I have read and researched many online resources and picked the brains of a couple of friends that build rods. All of this information has been useful but nothing can replace hands on experience. Is there a source for really inexpensive finished graphite blanks that I could use as test beds for different threads, finishes, techniques, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cheap blanks for testing?
Posted by: john bratton (---.eugene1.or.home.com)
Date: July 23, 2001 10:46PM

yes Mud Hole Tackle finished blanks $13 .00 good blanks. regards John

Posted by: David Allred (---.clt.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2001 11:54PM

Thanks John, that is exactly what I am looking for. The dark brown root beer should be good, just wish they had a dark green. I have no intention of building a rod with it, just someting to help answer the question, "I wonder what that would look like".

May the fish be with you,
David

Posted by: olt (4.40.159.---)
Date: July 24, 2001 09:49AM

If you are just looking for test materials go to a pawn shop and buy some old stuff from that them.

Wild River Dist sells a bundle of 10 very usable blanks for 59.00. Call them at 651-433-2217

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: July 27, 2001 02:51AM

If you are close to a rod manufacture stop by and ask them if you can purchase secounds..I have puchased $200.00 Pluse blanks at almost nothing and all that was wrong with them is a color blem. I also ask if I can get brocken butt sections to make reamers.
Good luck and always keep your line tight...Bob

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: August 08, 2001 12:21AM

go to yard, sales,look for rods sticking out of garbage cans on trash day, someone suggested pawn shops, ask your freinds for broken rods, If you are just making test sticks, there is no need to buy whole blanks, when you can get an old rod and strip it for free or nearly free, you would be amazed at the inventory of bits and peices you can collect, plus I have even gotten some half way decent reels this way

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster