I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to mount baitcaster reel seat?
Posted by: Steve Austin (12.104.183.---)
Date: August 02, 2004 12:05PM

I'm building a 6'6" St. Croix baitcaster. I've never mounted a reel seat. I've read that alot of people put tape of some kind under their reel seats. The specific type of reel seat I'll be using is a blank through type. Does anyone have any pointers?

Thanks for all of your help. Once again, this is a very helpful site.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to mount baitcaster reel seat?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (136.181.195.---)
Date: August 02, 2004 01:19PM

If it is a blank through seat you have to measure the diameter of the blank at the point where the blank through opening will sit on the blank and order a seat with the right diameter. Blank through seats have to be ordered in the correct size so that it fits snugly on the blank. It should be a close fit and need no shimming.

Mike

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: August 02, 2004 01:54PM

On the top half of the reel seat Mike mentions you'll have to either put a graphite arbor or any other type of arbor (masking tape, drywall material) between the blank and the reel seat, its just the bottom half that fits the rod's diameter.
The reel seat, where it fits snug to the blank, (if too tight -slightly) can be carefully reamed to fit.
The type of arbor you use is up to you; many have their opinions on which type.
Putter

Date: August 02, 2004 01:55PM

I guess I'm speaking of a Pac Bay type exposed seat, here. The American Tackle style (probably what Mike was speaking of) are one diameter throughout the reel seat. Forgot about that.
Putter

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: August 02, 2004 03:32PM

Mike,
You're thinking of the exposed blank reel seats which need the correct fit when ordering. The blank thru merely designates the reel seat which the blank goes through it as well as through, to the end of the butt grip.

As for shimming with arbors, this goes on the blank over which the reel seat slides to fit snug. The arbors can be built up masking tape which I recommend using 3M 2020, cork, brick foam (these come in St. Croix handle kits or component suppliers). Some use dry wall tape, and flex coat has reel seat lenght arbors. Spacing a 1/4" or more between arbors is a good idea to allow positive bonding of the epoxy along the edges from the inside of the reel seat down firmly to the blank at several points pretty well making it fail proof. Use Rod Bond as your adhesive and scuff the inside of the reel seat with scotch brite pads to build up the bonding surface charges for optimal setup.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Mike Barkley (136.181.195.---)
Date: August 02, 2004 04:16PM

Oops! I automatically assumed he meant blank EXPOSED. I have never used a seat that the blank didn't go all the way through it so I did the logical think! We all know what "ASSUME" stands for!!

Mike

Date: August 02, 2004 06:02PM

As did I, Mike, especially after reading your post on top of it. It was just the logical thought on what Steve posted, but we wuz ASSUME ing.

Putter

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 02, 2004 06:20PM

Steve told me via E-mail that he did mean blank exposed seat

Date: August 02, 2004 06:35PM

Well, I guess in this case, we ASSUME d correctly!!

Putter

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: August 02, 2004 10:06PM

Well fellows, I guess all the bases are covered then.
Steve, if you measure the diameter at the point you'll want the reel seat, relay this to your rod component supplier for the closest fit. It's better to ream a bit, or drill out smoothly rather than get a loose fitting seat.
Good luck.

Rich Garbowski

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.148.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 02, 2004 11:34PM

And I was not in this one guys LOL You and me??

Date: August 02, 2004 11:49PM

Mike and I just didn't feel the same without ya, Bill.

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.148.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 03, 2004 12:00AM

aaahhh gee

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster