I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More thread color suggestions?
Posted by: Jason Spriet (---.eoni.com)
Date: July 20, 2004 01:18AM

I am building a 7' casting rod, spiral wrapped with holographic guides on a GL3 Mahogany colored blank. I was leaning toward using a garnet wrap with gold trim, but thought I would ask for ideas here before I begin. Any other suggestions??

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More thread color suggestions?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.mo-stlouis0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 03:26AM

You could go with a halographic gold trim that will throw little highlights the same color as the guides, in lower light conditions they take on the look of an antigue gold wrap, a little more muted to go with the garnet.
Candy apple red with no cp could look nice too.

Posted by: Mike Key (---.mo24.107.46.90.charter-stl.com)
Date: July 20, 2004 09:36AM

I just finished a GL3. I used garnet with copper trim bands. Nothing fancy, but the rod looks very "sophisticated" as my wife let me know.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.133.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 09:37AM

Check out the photo page for more ideas

Posted by: Jon Tobey (---.fsea1.hawkcommunications.com)
Date: July 20, 2004 11:09AM

Who makes the Holographic Gold?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: July 20, 2004 11:35AM

Gudebrod; its available in A and D.
Putter

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: July 20, 2004 11:36AM

They also make it (holgraphic) in blue, red, silver & green.

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.los-angeles-56-58rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 12:17PM

i think garnet is awsome and should go well with mahogony. i have also used candy apple red on an old mahogony heddon blank. gorgeous. don't overlook silver for your trim. the cold of silver goes well with the warm tones. looks really elegant. test it.

Posted by: Jason Spriet (159.121.193.---)
Date: July 20, 2004 01:36PM

Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions. I was leaning toward gold trim because of the gold Loomis label that comes with these blanks.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.tbaytel.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 05:00PM

Garnet should look pretty classic. I like the idea of metallic copper trim, though am trying to visualize it with the holographic rings. Should be okay, though.
The rainbow metallic thread complements the holographic ring. Also, consider metallic pewter for more subtle effect that complements the tichrome frame color.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: July 21, 2004 12:13AM

I'm almost finished a spiral wrap on a Sabre 196-6. I used some Gudebrod Tan (also sold as Champagne) in a banded underwrap with gold metalic trim at each end. I then did the overwrap (Double wrap) with Gudebrod Garnet all wrapped in Size A reg. I used CP because I like the highlights. Sounds like overkill with the double overwrap but the rod is for Baramundi fishing in the Northern Territory of Australia. The colours are really nice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster