I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Installing EVA grips
Posted by: Sammy Navarro (---.lsanca2-4.27.96.147.lsanca2.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 01:11AM

Thanks fellas. I had such good results on my first post I'm back.
I'm about to install EVA foam grips for the first time. In reading up on the Q&A section and other info sources I'm a bit unsure as to being prepared. I have a few questions that would appreciate comments on.

Any more sources for info on this task.
What epoxy works best on a fiberglass blank?
Does epoxy help lube / slide grip in place? I hope so..
Grip sizing 0.802 Butt / 5/8" Grip ID - is grip too small?
Should a solvent be used to soften grip?

Thanks
Sam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Installing EVA grips
Posted by: dillon hee (---.156ce.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: July 20, 2004 02:25AM

Hi Sam,

I've only done this a couple of times but this is a secret passed onto me by a professional rodbuilder and it has worked wonders for me.

1. Get a 2 foot pvc pipe that is slightly larger than the diameter of the rod butt.

2. Ream a bit off the inside of the grip where you begin to slide it down so that there will always be a bead of bond when it is being pushed down.

3. Mix more rod bond than necessay, better to waste a bit of bond than to have the grip stuck halfway.

4. Coat MORE of the bond on the rod than the rest of the blank especially near the UPPER part of the rod where the grip first falls onto and roll the grip a bit so as much bond is coated on the INSIDE of the grip as possible. Try to coat the blank EVENLY with bond all the way to the bottom.

5. Position the blank upright and slide the pvc tube on the the front of the grip and grip the pvc pipe HARD AND PUSH AS HARD AS POSSIBLE AND DON'T STOP TILL YOU GET TO THE END!!!!!!!!!

Optional part, in between part 3 and 4, put the grip into the microwave for about 45s and once it is out, pour a bit of thinner into it making it more slippery. Not really necessay cus thinner might damage it a bit.

Hope this helps.

Dillon

Posted by: Dale Reamy (---.NIPR.MIL)
Date: July 20, 2004 06:21AM

Sammy, this works for me. Got if from this forum and enough EVA to know it works.

"What epoxy works best on a fiberglass blank?"
Rod Bond.

"Does epoxy help lube / slide grip in place? I hope so.."
Definately.

"Grip sizing 0.802 Butt / 5/8" Grip ID - is grip too small?"
Should be perfect. Grip ID should stretch to almost double.

"Should a solvent be used to soften grip?"
No.

Measure grip length. Stand the rod upright. Drop the grip down the blank. Mark the spot where the grip stops. Remove grip. Apply Rod Bond slightly longer than the grip on the blank from two inches above that mark toward the tip. Drop the grip onto the epoxy and spin it to coat the ID of the grip. Grasp top of grip with thumb and forefinger creating a seal, and slide it down to within a few inches of final position. If you're pushing Rod Bond, no need to add more, but it won't hurt anything. Measure grip length. Grasp bottom of grip and stretch it back to its original length. Adjust as necessary. If you got any Rod Bond on grip (you will), now's the time to clean it off with alcohol.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.225.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 08:34AM

If you'll follow the steps outline on the FAQs page, you'll have no trouble at all installing your grip. What Dale has outlined is pretty much it.

Posted by: Jim Shamburger (---.ssa.gov)
Date: July 20, 2004 05:09PM

And if you ever find that it is too hard to get that grip all the way down, heat it in some boiling water for a few minutes and it'll stretch like crazy. I use a 16" length of 2½" PVC pipe, capped on one end and the cap glued to a 6" square of 2x6. I put a 6 ounce sinker on top of the grip, pour in the boiling water, go mix my Rod Bond, and by the time I'm finished applying the Rod Bond to the blank, the grip is all soft and flexible. The water does not hurt a thing.

Jim

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: July 20, 2004 05:19PM

Does the grip deform from that hot water? I actually prefer installing hard grips, since they don't compress while sliding down teh blank. The hard EVA will stretch just fine with proper lubrication. For me at least.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: July 20, 2004 09:05PM

Just stay away from using acetone as a lubricant , it will harm your finnish on teh blank . John Henry !

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: July 21, 2004 12:27AM

I go slightly different than the methods mentioned above. This is a method used by Ian Miller. 1. Drop your grip onto the blank. Mark where it stops. 2. Coat the blank with bands of glue (I use 24 hour Araldite you probably have something along the same lines). 3. Take your grip and place one palm over the bottom of the tube and pour in some Methylated Spirits (denatured alcohol). Swish it around the inside of the grip. Pour the remainder back into the bottle. 4. As quickly as possible place your grip back on to the blank and using the thumb and forefinger grip forcefully slide the grip into position. I have found that the white spirit very quickly evaporates and does not affect the consistancy of the glue. I have used this method for quite a few years and never had a grip come loose or bind up before it gets into position.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster