I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for Avid 3S66ULF....
Posted by: Chuck S (---.LVNWORTH.COM)
Date: July 19, 2001 09:06PM

Finally decided to try building an ultra lite spin caster for small jigs and tubes. The Avid blank arrived today and quite frankly, scares me after building several 6'6s and 7 footers.

Using the Fuji titanium guides. Was thinking of using a 30 for the choke, but after laying it all out, the guide looks huge compared to the blank.

Do I need to use a smaller choke guide or will the 30 work?

How about number of guides? Wanted to use the concept system and ordered a 30, 25, 16, 10, two 7s, two 6s and the tip.

Do they make a smaller size thread than A?

Thanks Chuck

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for Avid 3S66ULF....
Posted by: john bratton (---.eugene1.or.home.com)
Date: July 19, 2001 10:46PM

hello Chuck i use a 20 or a 25 guide on a avid ultra lite.30 is a little large. regards John

Re: Guides for Avid 3S66ULF....
Posted by: Jeff (---.s294.tnt1.lnhva.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: July 21, 2001 04:54AM

I'd go with a 20. I am assuming when you say the "choke guide" you mean the first guide closest to the reel. My understanding of the new concept is the choke guide is the next one up.

Have you picked out what kind of reel you are going to use. That might affect your choice. The angle it is set at will have a bearing on where the choke guide goes.

Set-up
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: July 21, 2001 12:06PM

The choke guide should be the samesize as your very smallest guide. This is the guide that is located at the point where the line, in a direct path from the centerline of the reel spool, will intersect the rod. It should be a #6 in your case. Any guides from there on out to the tip should also be #6's.

Back towards the reel I'm going to suggest a 20, 12, 8 and then the #6 choke. You may have to adjust the sizes and frame heights to get it perfect. Don't ever be afraid to mix and match guide types and frame styles to get what is needed. (Keep the frame color the same and it looks fine.)

The New Guide Concept is fantastic if you set it up correctly. Refer to the July/August 2000 Issue of RodMaker for the complete set-up procedure which makes doing this easy. The photos will be a great help to you.

Re: Set-up
Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: July 22, 2001 04:14PM

Chuck I just built 5 st Croix 5V70MLF. I used a size 25 to size 30 for the 1st guide. The 30 is absolutely needed if you are using a Daiwa reel in the 2000 or above size. I mean the one with the ABS spool. But if you hold reels like the stellas 1000S, Fin Nor primeo 1000, then the 25 is much more than plenty due to spool size. For people who owns Stella S, the the HYSG (YSG with the ulta high frame at 20 will work too, but need to mount the guide in reverse to prevent guide bend when load. If you decided to use the 25 you would need to move the guide further away from the reel if and only if you have a fast to extra fast blank. I found out the the final guide on the spinning can be 49 to 42 in from the tip depend on the blanks action on a 7'. I personally perfer 30, 16, 10, 8L ,7, 6, 6, 6, then a 5 tip. It is sort of trouble to get the 4.5 or 5 for Anglers world of America do not carry it and I have to source it from Japan. For the ultimate I just built a rod with graphite USA 2-10 lb spinning blank with the T1LGG, L1YGG. Talk about beautiful and light weight. It is about 1/4 lighter than the TYSG stuff...

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster